Start & organisation
- Divide group into two teams and position as shown on a long field
- Goalkeepers feed balls into a 1v1
- If you score, you stay on; if you concede, you are replaced by a teammate
- Set up 2 fields if numbers allow
Timings: 10-20 minutes
Pitch area: Long narrow field
Other rules: N/A
- Players use on the ball skills to get free
- Players keep score of how many goals they individually score
- Can progress to 2v2
What to look for
- Is the defender moving towards the ball and closing the space for the attacker?
- Is the defender moving towards the ball while blocking the attackers route to goal?
- Is the defender getting close enough to the attacker to be able to effectively win the ball?
What the coach can do
- Demonstrate how and where the defender should close the attacker
- Ask players questions about how close they should get to the defender