Start & organisation
- Divide group into two teams and position as shown on a narrow field
- Nominate one team to be ‘attackers’ and one team to be ‘defenders’
- 1 defender passes the ball to 2 attackers, who try and score (2v1)
- If you dont’ have goals or a goalkeeper, you can modify the scoring system to be dribbling over the end line
- After each turn, a new defender feeds a new ball to 2 new attackers
- Swap teams as appropriate
Timings: 20-45 minutes
Pitch area: Long field
Other rules: Offside rule applies
- Encourage attackers to try and beat the defender 1v1 (this will create more coaching opportunities for the first defender)
- Can progress to 3v2
What to look for
- Is the defender moving towards the ball and closing the space for the attacker?
- Is the defender moving towards the ball while blocking the attackers route to goal?
- Is the defender getting close enough to the attacker to be able to effectively win the ball?
What the coach can do
- Demonstrate how and where the defender should close the attacker
- Ask players questions about how close they should get to the defender