Start & organisation
- Mark out area with 5 vertical lanes using cones or pancakes
- Organise teams into attacking and defending units (example shown in diagram; you may need to modify or add/subtract as players)
- Attackers (yellow) start with the ball as often as possible and attack big goal; defenders try to win the ball and score in mini goals
- Add or subtract the number of players on the team
Timings: 30-60 minutes
Pitch area: Half a field
Other rules: Offside rule applies
- Add or subtract the number of players on either team
What to look for
- Are the attacking team spreading out across the field into 5 lanes?
- Are the attackers making runs to get free?
- Are the defending team compressing into 3 lanes around the ball?
- Are the defenders closing the space for attackers to make runs?
What the coach can do
- Do a freeze-replay to demonstrate how the team should attack in 5 lanes and defend in 3 lanes
- Use ‘5 lanes’ and ‘3 lanes’ as mantras to encourage quick movement into these positions as a team