Start & organisation
- Split group into two teams
- One player from one team runs with the ball towards goal. Once they cross a pre-set line, a player from the other team try to chase them down and stop them scoring
- Swap team roles as appropriate
Timings: 10-15 minutes
Pitch area: Large rectangle
Number of players: 6-16 players
Other rules: No dangerous tackles!
- Progress to 2v2
- Make the pre-set line closer or further away (to decrease/increase the challenge for the recovering defender/s)
What to look for
- Are the defenders doing everything they can to get back and stop the goal?
- Are they getting into a position between the ball and the goal where they can stop the shot?
What the coach can do
- Be encouraging and get excited when players do great blocks/last-ditch tackles
- Encourage the attackers to move the ball quickly to make it more challenging for the recovering player