Start & organisation
- Divide group into pairs and set up as shown
- One pair starts the game with a ball, attacking 2v2 against an opposition pair
- When the ball is ‘dead’ or shot, then two new pairs start the next game
Timings: 20-30 minutes
Pitch size: Large square
Number of players: Minimum 10, up to 20
Other rules: Offside rule applies
- Make the area bigger or smaller
- Change the starting positions of pairs (e.g. start from the side) to create different angles of attack
- Make any goal scored 1-touch worth double (to encourage poacher moments)
What to look for
- Are players getting free off the ball where they can finish in front of the goal (ideally 1-touch)?
- Are players making runs to attack the ball when a teammate shoots, in case the goalkeeper drops the ball/parries the save?
- Are players scanning constantly to see where their teammate and space is?
What the coach can do
- Reward players who try to pass to free players who can score 1-touch
- Verbally encourage players to ‘attack the goal’ and constantly think ‘poacher’!