Start & organisation
- Half of group inside marked area with a ball, other half spread evenly on outside
- Players on inside pass to outside player and receive a return pass with open body, before finding another free player
- Swap inside & outside player roles every 2 minutes
Timings: 10-20 minutes
Pitch size: Large square
Number of players: 4-16
Other rules: N/A
- When receiving pass from outside, must touch forward with the ball into space
- Players on outside must play passes one-touch
What to look for
- Are players keeping the ball close to their body and in control?
- Are players receiving the ball with an open body so they can find another player to pass to?
- Are players using the inside of their foot as the dominant habit?
What the coach can do
- Demonstrate receiving behaviours to the group
- Focus on an individual and challenge them to receive the ball in a variety of different ways
- Encourage players on the run to use the inside of their foot
In the video below, you can see how coaching on the run can be used to reinforce core actions (receive the ball with the inside of the foot) in this practice.