Start & organisation
- Play 11v11 if numbers allow; alternatively 7v7 or 9v9 games well
- If uneven numbers you may use a neutral player or have a rotating substitute
- Play with normal rules (throw-ins, offsides)
Timings: 30-60 minutes
Pitch area: Based on availability, from full field to half field
Other rules: Play realistically including throw-ins, goal-kicks, corners etc. Offside rule applies
- Make the game competitive by keeping score and setting a time limit
- Reward teams with bonus points for desired actions & tasks
- Make the pitch smaller or bigger
What to look for
- Is the team moving into 5 lanes in attack, and 3 lanes & 1 block when defending?
- Are the individuals doing the core actions when attacking and defending?
- What positional cues can help the players with when/where to do core actions?
What the coach can do
- Observe and assess the player learning
- Coach on the run using mantras
- Freeze & demonstrate positional cues to individuals and the team