Start & organisation
- Divide group into two teams and position as shown
- You may need to set up multiple grids
- One team starts by dribbling the ball in, creating a 3v3
- Score by dribbling over the opposition end line. If the defenders win the ball they immediately try to dribble over their end line
- After each ‘turn’’, the players go off and a new group starts a new 3v3
Timings: 20-30 minutes
Pitch area: 30m x 15m rectangle
Other rules: Offside rule applies
- Give bonus points if the defending team can win the ball in the wide lane (as marked)
- Progress to 4v4
What to look for
- Is the first defender closing the ball and space?
- Is the second defender covering behind the first defender?
- Is the third defender providing balance and staying compact?
- Do all defenders have their body open to see the ball & see the opponent?
What the coach can do
- Demonstrate the movement & positioning of the first, second and third defenders
- Encourage players to move quickly into defensive positions
- Give additional cues to players by linking to defender-specific positional cues