Start & organisation
- Even numbered teams with two medium sized goals (approximately 7v7 or 9v9 size goals)
- Each team has a wide player on either side who cannot be pressured, and try to deliver crosses into the box constantly
Timings: 30-60 minutes
Pitch area: Wide rectangle
Other rules: Offside rule applies, include a penalty box for goalkeepers as required
- Goals worth double if scored from a 1-touch finish
- Make area bigger or smaller
What to look for
- Are the attacking players getting free from their defenders when the ball is delivered into the box?
- Are the defending players keeping their body open so they can see both the ball and their nearest opponent?
- Are the attacking players moving towards the ball when it arrives in a box?
- Are the defending players putting their body between the ball and the goal?
What the coach can do
- Verbally encourage & praise players who ‘poach’ or stop the poacher
- Encourage a variety of different crosses from the wide players